Seeing oneself as acting in a movie or a play is not merely fantasy or indulgence; it is fundamental to how people work out who it is they are, and may become. Benedict Carey
One of the best ways for us to 'find our voice' is to listen to those who have found theirs. Because so many women, even successful women, find it difficult to claim a central place in their lives and in their own stories, finding self-assured women within our circle of loved ones may be difficult. It is equally problematic to find women within the annals of literature and film who have moved to the center of their story.
Over the past 2 1/2 years, you've occasionally heard voices other than mine. They are lovely, compelling voices. In June, you will hear many more.
Courtesy of AshleyG at Etsy
As we give utterance to our ideas and dreams, we experience the catharsis that comes with saying what we think and feel out loud, especially when there are ears to hear, and we are heard -- really heard.
It has been said by a number of psychologists who study recovery from trauma that mourning without empathy leads to madness, and that the person who suffers loss must be able to give testimony to someone as a way of working-through and learning from this loss. On these pages, we won't necessarily be speaking of loss, but the principle of 'being heard' applies nonetheless.
Recognizing that listening is difficult, especially when we are so busy, I propose that we multitask.
When you post a comment during the month of June, you will not only be hearing another's voice, you will be eligible for the random giveaway of a $75 gift certificate to a spa of your choice.
And by listening to and learning from one another, we will experience systergy.
Ground rules are as follows:
1) When you leave a comment, you become eligible.
2) If there are (3) posts in a week, and you post a comment on each of the (3) posts, your name will be entered 3x.
3) The first contest will begin June 1, and end June 7 at midnight (EDT); the winner will be announced by Monday evening, June 8; there will be four certificates given away, one per week.
4) While it is likely that much of what is written is primarily applicable to women, comments from men (especially from friends, fathers, husbands, sons) are welcome and encouraged; men can no doubt bring some unique insights to our discussions. Should a man win the gift certificate, he is obviously welcome to keep it... or give it to you.
5) If you win one week, you won't be eligible the next; I hope that you'll comment regardless.
6) Sady, I'm not eligible for the prize, nor anyone in my family, she says with a wink, because I really would love a foot or head massage right about now.
P.S. If any of my guest bloggers want to give away a 'prize' as part of your post, bring it on -- and if you're not sure what to give away, let's chat.